Sunday, October 19, 2014

ARBOUR LADIES


I took some time off during the past week from a huge commissioned painting - to do the colour drawing (size A3) below. I worked from a photo taken by a friend during Arbour Week activities in Tsitsikamma in September this year.

I used whatever came to hand: Coki pen, watercolours, acrylic ink, tippex pen and white acrylic ink, on watercolour paper. I used a very diluted wash of yellow acrylic ink in many areas to create glowing colours. Never make the mistake I made once, namely use highlighters to intensify colours. They are not picked up by scanners, so their effect is lost in the printing process.

My bucket has been filled by a good dose of detail and colours, leaving me energized for other tasks that lie ahead.

I am planning to eventually do five smaller drawings (size A4) similar to this one, each featuring the individual figures. The series will be used for greeting cards.

"Arbour Ladies", done from reference photograph below.
By the way, my intention is that those animal-print handbags are FAKE!

Arbour Week activities in Tsitsikamma in September.
(Photo: Elzette Bester)


No comments:

Post a Comment